I don’t have to lurk. 8th graders forget there’s an adult nearby if their attention is on something else. I just have to show up, listen. Write it down. I haven’t changed a word. Enjoy!
Key — if there are two speakers, one will be in bold lettering. Also, names are changed for privacy.
- My head hurts. WHY? I ran into a door. But I did cut down a tree with a Sawzall.
2. I have to go back and read which of the commandments I’ve broken. What? Which commandments could you possibly have broken? Probably all the ones that begin with “thou shalt not…except the ones that could put me in prison. Not those.”
3. I knew it was wrong but there was no one there to tell me not to do it. So you didn’t jump? Oh, no, I did. Of course I did.
4. Does anyone want to do a peer interview? No? Welp, I guess I’ll just chew this pencil. All by myself.
5. Charlie, you don’t have to be the way you are.
6. I should do a song reading. It’s like poetry reading but pretending it’s real.
7. I wish I was Stephen Hawking. Why? He can write with his eyes. He’s basically a super hero.
8. I hate math. I love math. I hate math more than you love it.
9. Jenny, what is going on with you? What do you mean? Your socks match. It’s like you’re a fashion queen now.
10. Part of me is just done with all this adulting.
11. I figured it out! Hey, I’m a god!
12. I keep forgetting Swedish Fish. They stick in your teeth. You’d think I could remember them.
13. How many pages is this story? 12 pages. So. Many. Pages.
14. The only pants I’ve ever boughten (sic) that actually fit are from Canada. Canada has all the skinny people.
15. If I take geometry (next year) can I, like, drop it and take something easier?
16. Have you noticed we can’t do half the things our president does? Like, why are we even following rules?